Permanent Installation, Ballyhinch, An Geata Bán, Co. Clare, Ireland
This site specific installation was ‚completed‘ in early 2000 in Ballyhinch, An Geata Bán, Co. Clare, Ireland. The title refers to the eighteenth-century „unlicensed schools“ in Ireland, often held in the open air in remote places. Up until 1782 they were strongest in mountainous areas.
„Hedge School“ was inspired by the rural landscape of East Clare, by its woodlands and vegetation. Nature’s cycles were taken into account, and the installation will be constantly changing. Except an electronic signalling device and a hurley, only objects and materials found on the private premises (once a nursery) where the „Hedge School“ can be seen were used. The flowers, leaves and plants which initially were part of the installation were eaten by sika deer. The rest of the „Hedge School“ will disappear with the course of time.